By Evelyn Nguyen, 6th grade
Valentine’s Day. The time of the year where everybody is running around to find something to give to their loved ones. You usually get something from the store but there is always that little nagging feeling in your head… “this gift isn’t right, this gift isn’t perfect enough.” If you know what I’m talking about, I have a solution for you.
First of all, there’s no such thing as a ‘wrong’ gift. But why settle when you could give the person you love something that’s perfect? I’ve found some cute and creative DIY gifts for Valentine’s Day and wanted to share. Who knows? It may just be perfect for your special person.
#1: The first is “You Are the Bomb” candy. It’s simple, cute, and the perfect gift for someone with a sweet tooth. Here’s what it looks like and what to do.
- 3 Rolos
- Red construction paper
- Black pipe cleaner
- Hot glue
- White paper
- Black marker
- Take the 3 rolos and wrap them in the construction paper. Leave a bit of gold wrapping on both sides of the Rolo.
- Glue the three Rolos together.
- Cut the pipe cleaner in half and glue it to the middle on tip of the glued Rolos.
- Take the white paper and cut a small circle.
- Write on the small circle, “You are the bomb!” You can also write, “You’re dynamic!”
#2: The next idea is a bit more personal, and sure to be a huge hit with whoever you give it to. It’s sweet and adorable. What is it? A “Reasons Why I Love You” jar! Here are some examples and the steps to make it.
- Clear glass mason jar
- Construction paper
- Black sharpie
- Pink paper
- At the top of your mason jar, there’s a lid with 2 parts: an outer circle and a metal circle. Remove the middle circle.
- Cut out a piece of paper in a circle the same size as the metal circle you removed.
- Write “Reasons Why I Love You” on it and glue it down inside.
- Cut out as many pieces of construction paper as you want (many people do 10, 52 or 100, but it’s up to you) into even rectangles.
- Write down one reason on each piece of paper.
- Fold them (like example 1) or roll them (like example 2) and put them in the jar.
- Add some ribbon to make it look cute!
#3: The final one is for all of my fellow foodies out there: an adorable match-box filled with pretzels that look like… you guessed it… matches!
- Match box
- White chocolate
- Pretzel sticks
- Red food coloring
- Red, pink or white tissue paper
- Construction paper
- Take the matches out of the match box and clean it out gently with a damp paper towel.
- Melt the white chocolate until it’s smooth.
- Add red food coloring to the white chocolate until it is a deep red color.
- Dip the pretzel tip into the chocolate to look like a match.
- Lay them out to cool.
- While waiting, line the box with tissue paper and decorate.
- After cooling, gently place the pretzels into box
- Cut out a construction paper heart and write, “You are my perfect match!” on it.
That’s all I have for you guys! I hope you love these simple and cute Valentine’s Day gift ideas as much as I did 🙂 Thanks for reading!